Currie Chieftains Malleny

Page under development

Premier League – Match 15: 13. 1. 24.

A View from the Touch Line

Currie Chieftains 24 pts (t 4, c 2) v Hawick 24 pts (t 3, c 3, p g 1)

With the weather intervening on two previous occasions, this was third time lucky. No rain, no frost, but a bright January day ideal for the first rugby match of the New Year. First v third in the League table was quite a prospect, and it drew a large crowd to Malleny Park. The opening spell was a cat-and-mouse affair, with the beefy Hawick fifteen smothering Currie’s expansive ambitions.

The Chieftains lineout looked a little wobbly, and Hawick exerted their muscle at scrum-time; both ominous signs of local difficulties. A period of pressure, and a driving penalty lineout 10 metres from the home line, delivered the Greens’ first try. Apart from James McCaig timely interception try, with his thrilling dash from inside the Currie half a few minutes later, the visitors bossed the remaining 25 minutes of the first half. Their line speed, and cunning aggression at the breakdown ensured a greater share of possession and territory, which was eventually rewarded with a second converted try before the break.

Halftime score – Currie Chieftains 7 pts, Hawick 14 pts.

When Hawick ripped through Currie’s mid-field defence early in the second half, with a well-worked backs move for a third converted try, the home team’s situation looked bleak. But from this point forward, to the delight of the home support, the Chieftains’ resilience shone through, and they dominated for most of the remaining 30 minutes of the game. Sam Cardosi, Courtney West, Ryan Stewart, Gregor Christie and DJ Innes all played their part in the mighty recovery.

A series of attacks stretched the visitors’ stout defence, which was breached with a long, looping pass from Jamie Forbes. The standoff’s accuracy was perfect for James McCaig to evade a tackler and dive to the corner flag; Charlie Brett’s conversion kick hit the post. The game remained extremely competitive with little room for error, and Currie had smartened up on their earlier set-piece problems. Enterprising rugby from both teams hammered into brick wall defences, until Charlie Brett broke clear with an elusive run. The fullback found Joe Reynolds in support, and the experienced centre careered in for a converted try; game on!

For the next 10 minutes the Chieftains battered away in Hawick’s 22, but the wily Borderers kept them at bay as the ball whizzed back and forth across the field. It was slow exciting progress, but good handling with no mistakes had Hawick’s defence under pressure. As forwards and backs lined up across the pitch, and moving the ball with astonishing efficiency, it finally came to the hands of Ali Bain. The athletic lock forward juggled with the ball as he dived over for a breath-taking try which was not converted; however, it gave Currie a slender lead.

Never underestimate the ‘Green Machine,’ and true to form they ramped up their game and caught Currie off-side on the home team’s 22; reliable fullback, Kirk Ford secured the penalty goal to level the scores. The 40 minutes were nearly up as the Chieftains had one last fling at gaining a memorable win. Unfortunately, Jamie Forbes heroic attempt at a drop goal fell agonisingly short. Undoubtedly all those watching this entertaining match went home satisfied, and they will wish for an equally exciting encounter next weekend when high flying Marr visit Malleny Park – kick off 2.00pm, weather permitting!

I.J.S – 14 January 2024

Currie RFC

Malleny Park



EH14 7AF

0131 449 2432